Saturday 5 April 2014

Intro to my HO scale CP, CN and OCR layout project.


Being a railfan ever since I was a kid. I thought it would be a good idea to finally get a layout project underway. Choosing a railway of choice wasn't easy. I had to consider location, Road, Class, Era. It would also have to incorporate both of Canada's biggest class A freight railways and of course also include passenger service.

 I did some research on some major railway junction points with passenger and major freight service in Ontario. Using my personal railfanning experience and the help of Google Maps. I found a reasonable spot to base my layout on.

The Concept for my layout is based on a real junction point between Canadian National's Kingston Sub. and Canadian Pacific's Belleville Sub in Brighton Ontario. That would create my layouts major focal point. During my research on finding this spot construction of the two sections of the layout started in sections.

Here is section #1
The track plan was based on the actual spot where the two railroads met. I modified my existing track plan a bit to serve as a small transfer yard as well as the start point of the partally fictional Ontario Central Railway witch will be further explained more as I continue the blog.

In this section of the layout. The CP Belleville Sub joins the Kingston Sub from the east. The Belleville Sub does not connect with the Kingston Sub just yet.

Here is a construction photo of the layouts track work. My is hand laid in code 83. The turnouts are all from Peco and will eventually be replaced. In this scene I added the switch motor, Propane heater, Dwarf signal and switch stand for manual control.




Track work continued for about 3 weekends in the summer. Between June - July most of the CN transfer tracks where laid and the belleville Sub (in the background) started to receive scenery.

Here is the main CN passing track and transfer yard lead. In the background is the Belleville Sub that links the jct. from the east. The ballasted section in between the two corridors is suppose to be the old section of transfer yard that has been abandoned.

No comments:

Post a Comment